When the weather warms up, our children enjoy being outdoors- especially exploring wooded areas and looking for creatures in the creeks. At other times, they simply enjoy spending time with us as we work on our yards and gardens.
Now that the outdoors are green and lush with vegetation, it is a good time to teach our children how to recognize plants that can be harmful to them. For young toddlers, it is important to teach them not to eat anything that is not served at the family table.
The following is a list of common plants that may be harmful with minor symptoms of vomiting or diarrhea, burning of the tongue and mouth, or irritation to the skin:
- Poison Ivy and Poison Oak
- Calla Lily
- Dumb Cane
- Sago Palm
The following is a list of common plants that may be deadly, and if ingested you should immediately call Poison Control (800)222-1222:
For a more comprehensive listing, http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/earthkind/landscape/poisonous-plants-resources/common-poisonous-plants-and-plant-parts/